I admit that when I'm working hard, I don't want to stop to fix something to eat, so I grab whatever is easy. If I don't prepare something in advance, I will find junk which is usually empty carbs with too much sugar or salt.
I'm sharing with you our go-to grab. I have these on hand all summer because 1 or 2 are all that is needed to satisfy (3 or 4 are too indulgent). I also usually make a big batch for when we are camping or hiking because they are a quick, bite-sized pop of protein with just the right amount of sweet and salty.
Why make these?
- Healthy snack
- Quick bite to grab
- Perfect combo of sweet and salty with a bit of crunch so it feels like a treat.
- Makes a large batch and keeps well in fridge or freezer.
2 c rolled oats
2 c unsweetened coconut
1 c almond butter or peanut butter
1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips
1/4 c honey
1 tbl chia seeds
1 tbl flax seeds
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt (I use less salt if I’m using peanut butter instead of almond butter)
- Spread 2 cups oats on a baking sheet and bake 350 until lightly toasted, about 15 min.
- Transfer oats to a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until the mixture comes together (I sometimes add a little water if it is too dry).
- Roll into tablespoon balls (I use a small cookie scoop).
- Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. Keep in refrigerator or freeze.